Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Being a Good Listener

I am an educated person, but I never thought of becoming a psychologist or psychiatrist.  I always thought I'd go into some area of the law like becoming an attorney or an activist of some sort.  But, life (or the good Lord himself) seems to be pulling me in a different direction.  I seem to have a gift.  A gift for listening and offering support.  I love it.  I love helping people.  People come to me to talk and share their problems all the time and I love to listen.  I love to care and support them.  This must be my calling.  From family members to friends to coworkers and even strangers, I have people calling on me daily for someone to talk to.  They want to talk about so many things that are troubling them from relationship problems to issues with their children.  They want to vent about their spouses or cry over their breakups.  They all have problems weighing heavy on their hearts and they all have the same thing in common...they want somone to listen and care.  They are asking for two of the easiest things that we can do for each other as human beings and it means so much to them to receive it.

I never even entertained the idea that I'd make a good therapist.  Now I wish I would have because I would have found something that I loved that I could make a good living doing.  But, even though I've always considered myself to be a good friend, this gift has really presented itself later in my life.  I am in my forties now and have no desire to go back to college to pursue a degree in psychology.  Yet, I love lending my ear to those who are in need of some care and attention.  So, what can I do?  I can still be a safe and secure place for people to go who need someone to talk to.  I can still listen and care and offer advice in areas where I have experience.  I can be a shoulder to cry on or a thinking board to bounce ideas off of.  I can be a lot of things to a lot of people even though I don't have a multitude of letters following my name on a business card.

I have started my own business offering online friendship/support services for those who cannot afford counselling or who need extra support and care in addition to their scheduled therapy.  I can still offer an immense amount of support for people who desperately need it, especially in situations where they are grieving the loss of a loved one or a relationship.  Grief doesn't take a break and it can take a very long time to feel normal again.  I can make a difference in my own way by keeping it simple and just being there for someone in need.

If you would like to read more about my work or you think you might know someone who would benefit from my online friendship/support services, please visit my website at: http://www.yourfriendhope.com/.

Thank you for reading my blog and I welcome your comments and feedback.

No comments:

Post a Comment